Barren County High School students and staff were alerted early Tuesday morning to the sound of a faulty fire alarm.
Lee Johnson, assistant principal, told the Trojan Times that the series of alarms were due to a broken alarm in the English hall. A portion of the equipment slipped and caused a series of alarms to sound. Reports of a “prank” circulated the school shortly after the incident. School officials are reviewing video footage from security cameras as a precaution, according to Johnson. Currently, the incident is under investigation.
BCHS amended its fire alarm procedures before the 2019-2020 school year, according to Johnson.
In the revised fire procedure protocol, staff waits for verification of a legitimate reason for evacuation. There was not a formal announcement during the series of four alarm soundings Tuesday morning. After investigation, Johnson sent an email to staff detailing that the alarm was due to a malfunction.
BCHS custodians and maintenance is working to repair the alarm. Currently, the system is on “silent mode,” allowing crews to repair the faulty alarm without sounding it.